Monday, February 2, 2009

refinished table

The story behind our kitchen table.
We received this table from our neighbor in Kerman, Ca. She had used this table from about the 70's (complete with the Formica type greenish hue top) to 2003 where she then stored it in her garage. We took it off her hands complete with the original 70's chairs.













We liked the leaves that came with the table and it made this table very big.
We sanded this thing and repainted it 3 times with black paint trying to make it just right. It worked for about a year.



Then the paint began to chip. Tanner helped to chip it as he would eat dinner. I am sitting on the original 70's chair, barely holding me up.




We thought our chairs were extremely mismatching and it was time to upgrade. We checked into new table sets and then Nathan thought lets see what is underneath the last Formica layer. He went at it and found it was cherry!





So Nathan went after it big time. Mask and scraper and many hours in the garage. I did not help a bit, he was awesome! (the pregnant excuse was used)
We junked the chairs (by throwing them on our driveway to break them up and trashed them-they were beyond hope) I loved seeing them hit the curb!


Our final product,




Which I am extremely happy with! We purchased the chairs from Target.com and we have our new dining set for an extremely cheaper amount of money then if buying a new set!
(to get the full effect, click on the picture to get the WOW view!)









The more expanded view.
Nathan receives the credit for it. The end result a very happy wife!

8 comments:

Jessie said...

Melissa, I love it!! How exciting! The chairs are perfect for the room too. It really adds a finishing touch to the whole look of the house.

mandy said...

Nathan is a trooper. He did such a great job. Although I did think the chairs with the paint splattered all over them were pretty nice.

Tiffani Makely said...

WOW! I love it! I am currently trying to figure out what to do to add 2 chairs to our table. Thinking benches, we'll see!

Holly said...

Guts,it's bee-you-ti-ful. I love seeing little glimpses of your house too since it seems that I will never get to come there in real life.

Three Men and a Janie said...

"Do you like my table?"
"Yes I like your table!"
"Goodbye"
"Goodbye"

Sorry I have to quote that book every time I talk to you. :) I really do think your table looks great. Good job Nate!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I can't believe that sexy table was hiding under formica! Total score. And I notice a lack of sleek chrome/stainless/uber modern clean line decor....what happened Melissa????? What a bad influence Idaho has been on you. heehee Fabulous.

Zach, Keri, Saylor and Casha said...

That turned out really pretty, good work. I love the black and brown together.

Colette said...

So, has anyone noticed (besides the completely AWESOME finished table - great job Nathan) the bright, flourescent pink crown Melissa is wearing in the picture where she said she is being "barely held up" by the sorry excuse for a chair? Well,,,,,, that pink crown is what I sent her for her birthday. I loved seeing it Melissa! You look great! If anyone else wants a crown, let me know. I have two sweet little cherubs that are very good at crown-making.